Thanks to this months The Monthly Stitch challenge, I have finally used a pattern I’ve had in my stash for over a year.
I’ve just noticed that the waist tie is uneven in all the photos, soz.
Right throughout the voting, the Colette Crepe was out in front (followed equally by the 1940s tea dress and the Ultimate wrap dress, both of which I’ve already made). I’m not very good at being told what to do, so I’m quite pleased with myself for getting this done so quickly.
As I’ve mentioned before, I think the main thing holding me back from making this was the amount of fabric needed: I’m quite a fabric stinge so 4m of fabric for one dress wasn’t going to happen easily; but with this being the challenge winner, I just had to suck it up (and even then I only bought 3.5m).
It turns out that I did actually need 4m of the fabric, so I had to compromise and used the last scraps of the blue rayon for the ties, and I lined the bodice with my muslin fabric (a thin purple gingham – purple! I know) instead of a facing.
As you may have guessed, this is the same fabric as I used in my 1940’s tea dress, but in the red; a drapey rayon from The Sewing Shop (Kerikeri). I actually had to get Mr. Guy to pick this up when he dropped me off at the airport last Thursday – I rang up and asked for what I wanted, so there would be no mistakes!
This picture shows how I wore it for the morning – I was devastated that it fit so poorly, especially as I didn’t really have to make any changes to the muslin other than lowering the bust dart. I did still get several compliments at work, but at lunch time I realised that I had just done the ties up too loosely! The pictures from this afternoon (no fog!) have this fixed and it looks a lot better in the bodice.I still do have some issues with the fit, namely:
- Some sagging of the sleeves that I think would be fixed by taking in the shoulder seam by 1cm; I have altered the pattern for this in case I forget.
- The pockets are too low, by 1-2″. I can still put my hands in them but they’re not the right height for comfortable slouching
- Both where the ties start on the bodice piece, and the hole in the side that one tie goes through, are too high. This would be fine if the ties matched the bodice, but the blue ties makes it really obvious – you can see this in the photos of me side on.
Although I quite like this dress (once I sorted out the tying-it-too-loose thing), I’m not sure I’d make it again (although I’d still love one like this – I need to get some blousing action going on!). Firstly, it uses a HEAP of fabric and I am still a stinge. And I don’t feel that it adds anything to my “dress repertoire” – the cap sleeves are cute but I prefer regular set-in sleeves or even kimono sleeves; the tie is nice but makes it hard to wear cardigans, and is fiddly (I’d rather just wear a belt). It is comfortable but I’ve had to adjust it constantly throughout the day.
I also rather like the low-cut v-neck back neckline, but I’ll just try this with my regular bodice patterns (perhaps using this technique).
So there you have it: the results of my TMS challenge. I’m very pleased I finally made it (it probably would have taken me aaages otherwise).
Pattern: Crepe by Colette Patterns
Fabric: Spotted rayon, 3.5m at $18.5/m = $64.75
Notions: Thread, $4