NB: No finished item today as I have a dress needing hemming and neckline finishing; and have lost a bit of my mojo. It might be a tracing day today.
I was as excited for this years fabric-a-brac, as I was for Christmas when I was 15 (which is not as excited as when you’re a child, lets be honest). Unfortunately I was busy for the April FAB (not so unfortunate, because it was the same day as my wedding) but this time I cleared my schedule. I do have enough stash to have my own stall, but my sister-in-law has decided she’s going to get back in to sewing when she comes back to town so wants ALL of it. Which is good (another sewing buddy!) and bad (could have made money – easily enough to off-set my purchaces; or I could have given it all to the hospice shop)
I was, however, lucky enough to be asked to volunteer at the Hospice Stall (lucky because I love handling money) – which meant I could come half an hour early to look through all the stalls. This year there was only three (I think) stalls selling new items – Made on Marion (she only had 45 minutes notice!), Whirlwind Designs, and The Sewing Depot. The rest were all stash-busters.
And those of us who were stash-growers:
- a thick-ish floral fabric, $2. Will become a mini skirt
- Pale floral cotton with TINY birds, 4m for $20
- Paisley cotton, 250x109cm, $4, will likely become Tania Coulotts
- Blue cotton, the exact same as the green my shirtwaist is made from. 250x170cm for $5; a Colette Crepe
- Owl jersey (according to The Dreamstress who bought the same last year, it’s polyester and ended up pilling like craaaazy). 200x165cm $10
- Polyester with tiny umbrellas 90x240cm, $2. No idea, will probably be given to my sister-in-law.
- Taupe with white polka dots, ?rayon, 150×110, $7. Very drapey – maybe a La Sylphide if I have enough?
- Navy and red cotton shirting, 90x490cm, $15. NO IDEA, perhaps a bleuet? I don’t know how well the bow would show up though; I would love a contrast but would not want to do a red contrast.
- Marroon cotton rayon blend with leaves. My ABSOLUTE favourite and I probably would be happy if this was all I bought. 3 yards ?width, $4!
- Red checked cotton with daisies, no idea. It was only a couple of dollars.
- Black and red houndstooth check knit, 212×140 $5. A dress of some sort.
I know almost every Wellingtonian sewist was at Fabric-a-Brac if they could make it. Wouldn’t it be great if there were more opportunities to stash bust like this? Next time I’ll be getting in early to have a WSBN table (I know we’ll all have stuff to stash by then!).
Anyone got any clever ideas for my fabrics I haven’t thought of?